They rocked you to sleep as a newborn, taught you how to ride your first bike and cheered when you walked across the stage at graduation. Now they’ll watch with pride as you exchange vows on one of the most important days of your life. Your parents love you so much. But let’s face it - they already know what you look like.
Parents’ gifts present a unique challenge for brides and grooms-to-be. While many creative options are available when it comes to showing them how you feel, the choices can be overwhelming. Often, a couple just sticks with what’s standard and safe. A framed photograph, for example, while classic and always appreciated, just doesn’t make a statement as far as I'm concerned. How about giving your folks a really special gift – something romantic or personal or downright grand?
To help you get started, I've created a list of my top choices for parents’ gifts. Any of these selections will surely be a hit…and you can always give them that picture next Christmas!
1. For something simple and meaningful, present a copy of The Giving Tree. This classic children’s book by beloved author Shel Silverstein makes for a heartfelt gift. Add a signed and dated inscription.
2. A cooking class would be deliciously unexpected. Check schedules at Market Street, Central Market and the Milestone Culinary Arts Center. Give a gift certificate along with two matching monogrammed aprons.
3. Toast your parents with a vintage bottle of wine from the year they were married. Check with your favorite wine shop for recommendations and include a pair of beautiful crystal glasses.
4. How about a stylish stay-cation? Book a weekend for two at a hotel in town to give them a getaway without all the fuss. Splurge on a whirlpool suite or add in a couple of spa treatments – they’re worth it!
5. Finally, if you want to pull out all the stops, why not book a cruise to a warm, tropical destination? Cruises are great gifts – all-inclusive and effortlessly enjoyable. Explore your options on the Carnival, Royal Caribbean or Princess websites.
As you can see, the world is your oyster when it comes to giving your parents a unique gift they’ll truly treasure!