Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Meet our team!

During the holidays we want to feature our awesome team and let you get to know us a little better! Today, we are chatting with our very own Heather Aston!

How did you start planning weddings?
I have always loved planning parties and organizing events, so in the spring of 2005 I began researching Dallas wedding planners who might be in need of an assistant. In April I met with Shari Johns, our personalities clicked; I knew we would have a ball together! The next fall, I worked my first wedding with Shari. Five years later, Shari and I still have a good time together as we work with our amazing brides to plan their dream weddings.

Which is harder - getting your Master's or running a giant wedding?
Both are challenging in different ways. Working on my Master's degree for 3 years was mentally exhausting; it requred hours and hours of reading and writing. Running a giant wedding is physically exhausting - but exhilarating at the same time.

What's your favorite moment during the wedding day?
I have two favorite moments. The first is at the ceremony just after the flower girl and ring bearer have walked down the aisle. The bride and her father are alone, waiting for the doors to open. I love this peaceful, intimate moment. The second is at the reception when guest walk into a space for the first time. Hearing the guests oooh and aaah as they see the room is affirmation that we have done our jobs well.

What advice or tips do you give brides for their big day?
I let my brides know I'm there to be a problem-solver. They do not have to find solutions - I will.

What do you do to relax?
I love spa days! Facials, massages, wraps, scrubs, manicures, pedicures...heaven!

What is one important thing you've learned from working with the fabulous Shari Johns?
Well, obviously that she's fabulous. :) Other than that, I've learned, well, everything. I knew nothing about the wedding industry before working with S hari, so I owe my entire knowledge base to her.

If a bride comes to you and has absolutely no clue what she wants for her wedding, where do you start? How do you help inspire her?
I start with words, asking the bride for words that would describe her perfect wedding. From those words, I move on to pictures, asking the bride to look for pictures of things she likes and things she does not. Combined, these words and pictures can begin to create a vision.

What's your favorite current wedding trend?
Specialty lighting is definitely my favorite current trend. Lighting can completely transform a space, and it is well worth the money.

What is one thing people probably don't know about you?
Most people don't know that I hate shopping. I absolutely loathe it, especially around the holidays with all the crowds and cars and chaos.

Thanks Heather!

No comments: